Drivers License Identification Requirements
You are Here: Florida DMV Home » Drivers License Identification Requirements
As of Jan 1, 2010 The State of Florida has implemented strict ID Requirements for a New Drivers Licesne or Identication Card.
Renewing Your Florida Drivers License
If you are renewing a current Florida Drivers License you may renew your license online or via mail one time. After you have used these convenience methods once you must visit a Florida DMV office and provide the required ID - see below
New Drivers License or ID
If you are applying for a new Florida Drivers License, ID Card, or have legally changed your name you MUST PROVIDE the DOCUMENTS listed below
Document requirments include: Primary Identification, Proof of Social Security Number, 2 Proofs of Residential Address
First Time Drivers
If you have never had a drivers license before you will be required to complete the DATA course.
Find Your Requirements
Florida law requires identification, proof of date of birth, proof of residential address, and proof of social security number (if issued, Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department see proof of social security number for the issuance of driver license and identification cards)
from all customers before a driver license or identification card can be issued.
The name assigned to the social security number must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or identification card. If you have recently changed your name, update your records with the Social Security Administration before you apply for your license or identification card.
Each U.S. citizen renewing or applying for a new driver license or identification card in person after January 1, 2010 must submit:
An Original or Certified of One of the Following Primary Identication Documents
- Certified United States birth certificate, including territories and District of Columbia
- Valid United States Passport or Passport Card
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
- Certificate of Naturalization, Form N-550 or Form N-570
- Certificate of Citizenship, Form N-560 or Form N-561
Note: When necessary, marriage certificates, court orders, or divorce decrees must be provided to tie the name on the primary identification to the name the customer would like to place on the driver license or identification card.
Proof of Social Security Number
- Social Security Card
- W-2 form
- Pay check
- Any 1099
If you Do NOT have a Social Security Number:
If you do not have a social security number, you must bring a letter from the Social Security Administration indicating that you were never issued one. In addition, you will need to present at least one proof of ID from the following list:
- A driver license from the District of Columbia, U.S. Territories, or one of our 50 states.
- School record stating date of birth, which must contain the registrar’s signature.
- Transcript of the birth record filed with a public officer charged with the duty of recording certificates.
- Baptism certificate, which shows date of birth and the place of baptism.
- Family Bible record or birth announcement in a baby book
- An insurance policy on the customer’s life which has been in force for at least two years and has the month, day and year of birth.
- United States military or military dependent identification card.
- An identification card from the District of Columbia, U.S. Territories, or one of our 50 states.
- Florida license record or identification card record.
- Selective Service Registration (Draft Card).
- Florida Vehicle Registration certificate (HSMV 83399, owner’s copy) obtained from the tax collector’s office where the customer’s vehicle was registered, Florida, or out-of-state registration certificate, if name and date of birth are shown.
- Receipt copy of your last Florida driver license issuance.
- Immigration form I-571.
- Federal form DD-214 (military record).
- Marriage certificate.
- Court order, which includes legal name.
- A Florida voter registration card, which was issued at least 3 months previously.
- Parent consent form of minor, signed by the parent or legal guardian
- Government issued out-of-country passport, driver license, or identification card
- Concealed Weapons Permit
Back To Top of Page
2 Proofs of Residential Address
Gather TWO of the following documents showing your residential address: (internet printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable)
- Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement
- Florida Voter Registration Card
- Florida Vehicle Registration or Title
- Florida Boat Registration or Title (if living on a boat/houseboat)
- A statement from a parent, step-parent or legal guardian of an applicant. The parent or guardian must reside at the same residence address, accompany the applicant and present "Proof of Residence Address"
- A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application
- Automobile Payment Booklet
- Selective Service Card
- Medical or health card with address listed
- Current homeowner’s insurance policy or bill
- Current automobile insurance policy or bill
- Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year
- Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.
- W-2 form or 1099 form
- Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status
- A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider, or a half-way house verifying that the customer resides at the shelter address
- Utility bills, not more than two months old
- Mail from financial institutions; including checking, savings, or investment account statements, not more than two months old
- Mail from Federal, State, County or City government agencies (including city and county agencies)
- Transients – Sexual Offender/Predator/Career Offender: - FDLE Registration form completed by local sheriff’s department
Back To Top of Page
Immigrants that apply for a Florida drivers license or ID card must provide the Proof of Social Security Number and 2 Proofs of Residential address desribed above.
As an Immigrant you must provide one original or certified copy of the following Identification documents:
- Valid Alien Registration receipt card, (Green card, Form I-551)
- I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94
- Immigration Judges Order, with the customer's A-number, granting asylum
- I-797, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum
- I-797 or another form from the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, with the customer's A-number, stating the customer's application for Refugee status is approved
Back To Top of Page
Non Immigrants that apply for a Florida drivers license or ID card must provide the Proof of Social Security Number and 2 Proofs of Residential address desribed above.
As a Non Immigrant you must provide one original or certified copy of the following Identification documents:
- Employment authorization card issued by the United States Department of Homeland Security (Form I688B or I-766); or
- Proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States Department of Homeland Security (Form I-94, not expired, with required supporting attachment(s).
If in doubt regarding required documents, please bring all of your US BCIS documentation with you.). I-94s must be accompanied by a Passport. Certain classifications require additional documentation. Some examples are:
F-1 and M-1 classification must also be accompanied by an I-20.
I J-1 or J-2 designation must be accompanied by an DS2019.
Refugee, asylee and parolee classifications must be accompanied by additional documentation.
- I-571 Travel Document/Refugee Travel Permit**
- I-512 Parole Letter Accepted**
- IJO- Asylum or Cancellation of Removal - Immigration Judges Order granting Asylum or Cancellation of Removal.**
** These documents will only be accepted with a supporting document, including but not limited to a Passport, Florida Driver License or Identification Card, Driver License from any other state, Employment Authorization Card, Employer Identification, Identification from home country, Identification from school or college, Social Security Card (Chapter 322, Florida Statutes, requires the Department to see proof of social security number for the issuance of driver license and identification cards) or other US BCIS document.
All required and supporting documents MUST be original or certified.
Documents must be valid for more than 30 days from the date of issuance.
Non-U.S. citizens applying for an original driver license will be issued a 30-day, no photo, paper temporary permit and a receipt. Non-U.S. citizens applying for an identification card will be issued a receipt.
All records are transmitted to our database in Tallahassee, where the information will be examined and run against FDLE, FBI and US BCIS databases.
Upon identity and legal status verification, a driver license or identification card will be issued within 30 days from Tallahassee, mailed to the address on the driver record. The license or identification card will be issued for the period of time specified on the US BCIS document, up to a maximum of one year.
If a problem is detected, a denial of issuance letter will be mailed to the customer.
Back To Top of Page
Canadians citizens that wish to be issued a Florida driver license or state of Florida ID card must provide the Proof of Social Security Number and 2 Proofs of Residential address desribed above.
As a Canadian Citizen you must provide one original or certified copy of the following Identification documents:
- Valid Canadian passport
- Original or certified Canadian birth certificate
- Canadian Naturalization Certificate
- Canadian Certificate of Citizenship
Complete details for drivers license identification requirements are in the Florida drivers manual.
Back To Top of Page